Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Buying Used Guns

Can anyone tell me if there are any laws requiring you to register a long gun if purchased from a private seller? I bought a shotgun from someone and he wrote out a receipt for me. I didn't think so, but I wanted to check just in case.

I am a Forum User
    Long gun = no need for registration.

Banned
    More than 30 inches OAL, no registration needed.

Don't know what kind of shotgun you bought, but I mentioned it because it might be relevant. If it's less than 30" long, a receipt won't cut the mustard.

You don't have to register a long gun, unless it is under 30 inches in overall length. Then it is considered a pistol. You cannot have a pistol under 26 inches with a butt-stock, then it would be considered a short barreled rifle and those are a No No here.

MCL 28.421, 750.222..
    Our founding fathers, in their infinite wisdom, had the foresight to put America on the opposite side of the globe from everyone else.

I thank them for it.

Account Closed Forum User

I am a Forum User

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for all of the feedback. It's a Remington 870 - .410 - so I'm okay for the 30 inches.

I am a Forum User
    enjoy that 870, great gun!

Quote Originally Posted by mechredd
    You cannot have a pistol under 26 inches with a butt-stock, then it would be considered a short barreled rifle and those are a No No here.
    MCL 28.421, 750.222..
    Ok, I know what a pistol grip stock is, and a regular stock. My Mossberg Persuader came with both. What's a Butt Stock? It sounds uncomfortable to shoot.
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joelansing
    Ok, I know what a pistol grip stock is, and a regular stock. My Mossberg Persuader came with both. What's a Butt Stock? It sounds uncomfortable to shoot.
    - Joe
    Butt Stock = regular stock

I am a Forum User

Smile shorter than 26

Ok so on that same line. I have a Beretta Neos and I see on line I can purchase a kit to add a rifle stock to it. Now I hadnt planned to get that but I am wondering is there a legal issue with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast