Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyD
    WOW! That's scary that your CPL class would put out such WRONG information. Wonder what else they've put out that's wrong?
    His class was 6 or 7 years ago. The laws changed in 2006 or so.
    "Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by minkling
    I would check first. I know that MI is an open carry state but whe I received my CPL I was told that I no longer would be able to open carry in my CPL class.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by who dat
    His class was 6 or 7 years ago. The laws changed in 2006 or so.
    Ohhhhh. That makes more sense.

I am a Forum User
    What laws changed in 2006? OC is covered under our State Constitution. No law required for that.

Sometimes I wonder if some of these people teaching the CPL classes even want us law abiding citizens to be armed if thats the case FIND ANOTHER LINE OF WORK.
    "Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built." - Abraham Lincoln

I am a Forum User
    Open carry has been legal in MI since statehood. A CPL or any permit to carry concealed in MI has NEVER prohibited open carry.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by minkling
    I would check first. I know that MI is an open carry state but whe I received my CPL I was told that I no longer would be able to open carry in my CPL class.
    I'd ask for a refund and go retake the class someone reputable just so you know you got all the correct info.

Quote Originally Posted by kdogg
    I'd ask for a refund and go retake the class someone reputable just so you know you got all the correct info.
    From the number of posts asking questions about what they heard, it seems unlikely ANY CPL teacher has it 100% correct.

The older the CPL certificate, the more misinformation taught it seems. With all the changes like Shall Issue and the recent changes of 2009, more and more teachers are getting more right than wrong.

Let's just keep letting them know when we clear up things and keep progressing.
    "Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, you can open carry on your own property.

I’m an NRA certified instructor and started teaching The Basics of Personal Protection in the Home before our “Shall Issue” law took effect. Instructors can’t teach the legal portion of the class, the NRA requires that be taught by an attorney or certified peace officer from that State. Over the years, I’ve listened to presentations by several lawyers, a prosecuting attorney, a detective from Northville Twp., a West Bloomfield sergeant and numerous patrol officers. Virtually every one expressed a requirement that your firearm be concealed while carrying on a CPL, except when in a vehicle. Many advised that having the gun not concealed in a vehicle with a CPL was asking for trouble, even though it was spelled out as OK by the legislature (odd). A gun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle is statutorily deemed concealed, whether it’s in plain sight or not, so it seems silly to even mention it. Handgun transportation restrictions have recently been relaxed (5 years ago?) making open carry possible for those who don’t walk or ride a horse. Before they were relaxed, you could only lawfully transport a handgun (unloaded, cased in the trunk) under very specific circumstances, which effectively prohibited open carry. Statewide firearm preemption also blocked the possibility of local ordinances prohibiting OC.

OC has gained a lot of momentum in Michigan within the last several years, but in the past many LE’s threatened disturbing the peace / creating a public nuisance charge for doing it. It’s still a hot topic with many of them and they’re the ones enforcing the laws. I prefer the strategic advantage of concealed carry and I’d rather not attract attention and worry people, so open carry isn’t for me. I appreciate those who organized and supported the OC demonstrations around the state, which helped to educate law enforcement about citizens rights. Just a few years ago, I guarantee you’d have been arrested for OC in many jurisdictions. You still might be in some.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAchad
    Yes, you can open carry on your own property.

I’m an NRA certified instructor and started teaching The Basics of Personal Protection in the Home before our “Shall Issue” law took effect. Instructors can’t teach the legal portion of the class, the NRA requires that be taught by an attorney or certified peace officer from that State. Over the years, I’ve listened to presentations by several lawyers, a prosecuting attorney, a detective from Northville Twp., a West Bloomfield sergeant and numerous patrol officers. Virtually every one expressed a requirement that your firearm be concealed while carrying on a CPL, except when in a vehicle. Many advised that having the gun not concealed in a vehicle with a CPL was asking for trouble, even though it was spelled out as OK by the legislature (odd). A gun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle is statutorily deemed concealed, whether it’s in plain sight or not, so it seems silly to even mention it. Handgun transportation restrictions have recently been relaxed (5 years ago?) making open carry possible for those who don’t walk or ride a horse. Before they were relaxed, you could only lawfully transport a handgun (unloaded, cased in the trunk) under very specific circumstances, which effectively prohibited open carry. Statewide firearm preemption also blocked the possibility of local ordinances prohibiting OC.

OC has gained a lot of momentum in Michigan within the last several years, but in the past many LE’s threatened disturbing the peace / creating a public nuisance charge for doing it. It’s still a hot topic with many of them and they’re the ones enforcing the laws. I prefer the strategic advantage of concealed carry and I’d rather not attract attention and worry people, so open carry isn’t for me. I appreciate those who organized and supported the OC demonstrations around the state, which helped to educate law enforcement about citizens rights. Just a few years ago, I guarantee you’d have been arrested for OC in many jurisdictions. You still might be in some.
    Excellent summation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast