Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Self Defense with Someone Else's Gun?

My gf and I aren't married. If I used a handgun registered to her in self defense (while staying at her apartment) would it still be okay, or should I only consider using my own gun in self defense?

Thanks!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that a law was passed allowing CPL holders to use guns that are registered to other CPL holders provided that permission is granted.

I don't know if the same applies where the people are not CPL holders.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ShootinFool
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that a law was passed allowing CPL holders to use guns that are registered to other CPL holders provided that permission is granted.

I don't know if the same applies where the people are not CPL holders.
    I'm not a CPL holder (yet) but keep a gun at home for self defense, and so does she.

I am a Forum User
    if you both live at the address i dont see where a problem would come up... you may want to call your local pd... ive lived with my girlfriend for 3 years now and all of my guns were here and all in my name untill she just recently got her cpl so i bought her a gun of her own

I am a Forum User
    DO NOT CALL your local PD!!!

Cops are very often the LAST person who know the gun laws.

As in any self defense act....what you do in a time of fear / defense is up to you.

If both of you are legal to own a gun....then that is the first hurdle.

Whether you grab yours of hers to protect yourself or her....well you will not have time to tell the bad guy...

'wait....I have to walk past this perfectly legally owned gun of hers to go get mine...so please hold that pose'

so...in those seconds where you need to decide what to do and what to use....only you or her can decide and if it gets you or her an appointment in front of a jury to defend your actions...you or her can only be the one to say why you or her did what you did

I am a Forum User
    You might want to post this in the legal beagle section. There are some attorneys on the forum, who know Michigan case law.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamazooPromise
    My gf and I aren't married. If I used a handgun registered to her in self defense (while staying at her apartment) would it still be okay, or should I only consider using my own gun in self defense?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any legal impediment to the lawful use of your girlfriend's pistol.

As stated above however, I certainly wouldn't call and ask this question of the local police. They might tell you that you are in violation of MCL 750.335 and come arrest you.

MCL 750.335 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vn1...me=mcl-750-335

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2
    I'm not aware of any legal impediment to the lawful use of your girlfriend's pistol.

As stated above however, I certainly wouldn't call and ask this question of the local police. They might tell you that you are in violation of MCL 750.335 and come arrest you.

MCL 750.335 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vn1...me=mcl-750-335

Gotta love that MCL! I like to click the next and previous arrows a few times when someone posts a law like this, Those are more entertaining.

Account Closed

Question

If you really needed to use it for self defense would you honestly be worried about what the law says at that point? Would you not defend yourself, and die before you would break the law?

In a situation such as you describe, that's where the old saying definitely applies:

"It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6!"

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by steve581581
    if you both live at the address i dont see where a problem would come up... you may want to call your local pd... ive lived with my girlfriend for 3 years now and all of my guns were here and all in my name untill she just recently got her cpl so i bought her a gun of her own
    Don't call your local pd for questions like this. chances are they don't know either. I'd call a lawyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast