Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Technically,it is very illegal for you to handle,target practice with or use in self defense your GFs pistol unless you have a CPL,even while living in the same address.However,in reality,a jury would never find you guilty of any crime for defending yourself with her pistol in your own home even if technically you broke the law.Now long guns are totally different.If she had a shotgun,you could borrow it and possess it and so could she.and take it to the range and whatnot.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjatoth
    Technically,it is very illegal for you to handle,target practice with or use in self defense your GFs pistol unless you have a CPL,even while living in the same address.However,in reality,a jury would never find you guilty of any crime for defending yourself with her pistol in your own home even if technically you broke the law.Now long guns are totally different.If she had a shotgun,you could borrow it and possess it and so could she.and take it to the range and whatnot.
    correct - it isn't legal for a non-CPL holder to borrow a pistol that's not registered to them. on the flip side, it's perfectly legal for a CPL holder to borrow and carry a pistol that's legally registered, assuming you have the owner's permission.

However, there is nothing illegal about handling/operating a pistol in the presence of the registered owner when you're at the shooting range. I don't know why that would be any different in the owner's own home. Carrying it outside to chase a BG while the girlfriend remained inside would probably cross the line.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigIrish
    Carrying it outside to chase a BG while the girlfriend remained inside would probably cross the line.
    Of course it would. Let the girlfriend chase the BG outside with her own darned gun....

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Done Deal
    Of course it would. Let the girlfriend chase the BG outside with her own darned gun....
    Once the bg is running away you are no longer defending yourself buy persuing if you give chase.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamazooPromise
    I'm not a CPL holder (yet) but keep a gun at home for self defense, and so does she.
    defense in a home right just use it .Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by steve581581
    Once the bg is running away you are no longer defending yourself buy persuing if you give chase.
    i would guess that stepping outside even to verify that an intruder was gone would be illegal by the letter of the law. if the pistol isn't registered to the person carrying it, the owner had better be in the presence of the pistol at all times.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steve581581
    Thats why you put your girlfriend on the track.

By law shes the one that wears the pants in the family in her domain.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjatoth

This is not entirely true. If she is present, you can infact use her pistol for target practice. You just cannot OC or CC it unless you have a CPL.

As far as the self defense part, I'm not sure. I wonder if there is any case law on this.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    As far as the self defense part, I'm not sure. I wonder if there is any case law on this.
    Although I have not researched this, I would highly doubt that a case involving an otherwise good shoot would make it up to the Court of Appeals on the singular issue of whether the shooter was using someone else's pistol. It is possible that the question has been addressed in a bad shoot case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12