Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User
    When dealing with someone who advocates drunk boating i am not suprised that the gun board is harsh.

Nice Catch

Some people I tell ya.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Banned Forum User
    Forrest Gump: "My momma say stupid is as........."

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0926--,00.html

credit to "that guy" in my thread about minor crimes preventing folks from getting a CCW.

I brought it up because another member said he was in a fight over ten years ago and believes WACO stalled or tabled his application.

It makes perfect sense if you just got busted for drunk driving or boating that your permit would be in danger. It sounds like that person has drinking issues, and likely would be a danger if drunk, and would carry in a bar, etc and be statistically more like by a very very substantial % to commit acts of total and epic jack-assary. It speaks to ones self control.

A fight one can make a case for defense. No one gets in a car drunk or boat drunk, especially fall over crash into shore, or crash your car into a tree drunk, with out having drinking problem 1, and 2 self awareness problems, and 3 respect for the law.

They want to mitigate the likelyhood that anyone that is approved will act out.

Look at the national incidents per year of total gun crimes, and gun crimes from folks with CCW. Statistically it virtually never happens. Thats cause if you are mental, retarded, a druggie, a spouse abuser, and a host of other character and control flaws, you dont get one.

By doing this it makes CCW folks as a lot look like golden boy angels. The ones that pass the criteria, are as a lot, as good as you get, law abiding, honest folks.

If you approve anyone and everyone, then i would wager millions of CCW folks would have committed crimes, as the same kid that steals cars at 17, and sells drugs at 18, applies for a CCW at 21 and robs banks. It makes perfect sense.

Concealed Pistol License Requirements

A. State Requirements
    Applicants for a Michigan Concealed Pistol License must:

1. Be at least 21 years of age

2. Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States

3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application. An applicant is a state resident if one of the following applies:

The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or state identification card
    The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan
    The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the home of record
    The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the home of record is another state
    Note: The 6-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state.

4. Have successfully completed a pistol safety training course

5. Not be subject to any of the following:

An order requiring involuntary hospitalization or alternative treatment
    An order finding legal incapacitation
    A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity
    6. Not be subject to a conditional bond release prohibiting purchase or possession of a firearm

7. Not be subject to a personal protection order

8. Not be prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under MCL 750.224f

9. Have never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere

10. Have no felony charge pending in Michigan or elsewhere

11. Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces

12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Failing to stop when involved in a personal injury accident, MCL 257.617a
    Operating while intoxicated, second offense, MCL 257.625(9)(b)
    Drunk driving, commercial vehicle, MCL 257.625m(4)
    Reckless driving, MCL 257.626
    Driving while license suspended or revoked, second or subsequent offense, MCL 257.904
    Operating aircraft while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance with prior conviction, MCL 259.185
    Hindering or obstructing certain persons performing official weights and measures duties, MCL 290.629
    Hindering, obstructing, assaulting, or committing bodily injury upon director or authorized representative, MCL 290.650
    Operating an ORV under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, second or subsequent offense, MCL 324.81134(5)-(6)
    Operating a snowmobile under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, second or subsequent offense, MCL 324.82127 punishable under section MCL 324.82128(1)(b) or (c)
    Operating a vessel under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, second or subsequent offense, MCL 324.80176 punishable under MCL 324.80177(1)(b)
    Possessing a controlled substance, controlled substance analogue, or prescription form, MCL 333.7403.
    Operating a locomotive under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, or while visibly impaired, MCL 462.353(4)
    Displaying sexually explicit matter to minors, MCL 722.677
    Assault or domestic assault, MCL 750.81
    Aggravated assault or aggravated domestic assault, MCL 750.81a
    Breaking and entering or entering without breaking, MCL 750.115
    Fourth-degree child abuse, MCL 750.136b
    Accosting, enticing, or soliciting a child for immoral purposes, MCL 750.145a
    Vulnerable adult abuse, MCL 750.145n
    Solicitation to commit a felony, MCL 750.157b
    Impersonating a peace officer or medical examiner, MCL 750.215
    Illegal sale of a firearm or ammunition, MCL 750.223
    Illegal use or sale of a self-defense spray, MCL 750.224d
    Sale or possession of a switchblade, MCL 750.226a
    Improper transportation of a loaded firearm, MCL 750.227c
    Failure to have a pistol inspected, MCL 750.228
    Accepting a pistol in pawn, MCL 750.229
    Failure to register the purchase of a firearm or a firearm component, MCL 750.232
    Improperly obtaining a pistol, making a false statement on an application to purchase a pistol, or using false identification to purchase a pistol, MCL 750.232a
    Intentionally aiming a firearm without malice, MCL 750.233
    Intentionally discharging a firearm aimed without malice, MCL 750.234
    Possessing a firearm on prohibited premises, MCL 750.234d
    Brandishing a firearm in public, MCL 750.234e
    Possession of a firearm by an individual less than 18 years of age, MCL 750.234f
    Intentionally discharging a firearm aimed without malice causing injury, MCL 750.235
    Parent of a minor who possessed a firearm in a weapon-free school zone, MCL 750.235a
    Setting a spring gun or other device, MCL 750.236
    Possessing a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a drug, MCL 750.237
    Weapon-free school zone violation, MCL 750.237a
    Indecent exposure, MCL 750.335a
    Stalking, MCL 750.411h
    Fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, MCL 750.520e
    Reckless, careless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in injury or death, MCL 752.861
    Careless, reckless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in property damage, MCL 752.862
    Reckless discharge of a firearm, MCL 752.863a
    Note: The applicant must not have violated a law of the United States, another state, or a local unit of government of this state or another state substantially corresponding to a violation described above.

13. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Operating under the influence, MCL 257.625
    Refusal of commercial vehicle operator to submit to a chemical test, MCL 257.625a
    Ignition interlock device reporting violation, MCL 257.625k
    Circumventing an ignition interlocking device, MCL 257.625l
    Operating a commercial vehicle with alcohol content, MCL 257.625m(3)
    Operating an aircraft under the influence, MCL 259.185
    Operating an ORV under the influence, MCL 324.81134
    Operating an ORV while visibly impaired, MCL 324.81135
    Operating a snowmobile under the influence, MCL 324.82127
    Controlled substances, MCL 333.7401 to 333.7461
    Operating a locomotive under the influence, MCL 462.353(3)
    Disorderly person, MCL 750.167
    Embezzlement, MCL 750.174
    False pretenses with intent to defraud, MCL 750.218
    Larceny, MCL 750.356
    Second-degree retail fraud, MCL 750.356d
    Larceny, vacant building, MCL 750.359
    Larceny, by conversion, MCL 750.362
    Larceny, defrauding lessor, MCL 750.362a
    Malicious destruction of property, MCL 750.377a
    Malicious destruction of real property, MCL 750.380
    Receiving stolen property, MCL 750.535
    Malicious use of telephones, MCL 750.540e
    Note: The applicant must not have violated a law of the United States, another state, or a local unit of government of this state or another state substantially corresponding to a violation described above.

14. Have not been found guilty but mentally ill of any crime and has not offered a plea of not guilty of, or been acquitted of, any crime by reason of insanity

15. Have never been subject to an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to a mental illness

16. Not have a diagnosed mental illness at the time the application is made, regardless of whether he or she is receiving treatment

17. Not be under a court order of legal incapacity in this state or elsewhere

18. Not be detrimental to the safety of his or her self or any other person if issued a Concealed Pistol License

B. Federal Requirements

Pursuant to MCL 28.426, a Concealed Pistol License may not be issued to a person prohibited under federal law from possessing or transporting a firearm. The federal requirements to possess or transport a firearm include that the applicant:

1. Not have been convicted in any court of, or under indictment for, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (i.e. felony, or any misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years)

2. Not be a fugitive of justice

3. Not be an unlawful user of, or addicted to, any controlled substance, as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)

4. Not be adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution

5. Not be an alien who is illegally or unlawfully in the United States

6. Not be discharged from the United States Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions

7. Not have renounced his or her citizenship

8. Not be subject to a court order prohibiting harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner or from engaging in other conduct that would place the partner or child in reasonable fear of bodily injury.

9. Not be convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Account Closed Forum User
    I'm glad that some sanity was inserted into this thread. I know that a large percentage of our members live in Oakland County and I had never heard of difficulties with the OC gun board before. The Forest Gump quote seemed quite appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by edub
    FYI - if you must meet with the gun board be aware that they are not impartial. They have every intention of doing everything they can to deny or suspend your license even if it is contrary to law.

I know from experience that they will not listen to reason, they will lie to you about the law and try to trick you into not filing your appeal in the alloted 21 days.

They do this by claiming that they are unclear about a given statute and will need time to research the matter. This is how they trick you into not filing your appeal in time. Remember, you have 21 days to file.

If you must go in front of them, do yourself a favor and bring an attorney. It will probably cost you less to nip it in the bud than to file an appeal after the fact. And don't think you will make your case and convince them. They do not care what is right or what the law is - they will do what ever they can to screw you over.
    Sorry you were denied. They really do a great job not letting some have CPL's.
    Karma does have a way of biting you in the azz.
    Last edited by JohnJak; 03-09-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    If you been denied at Oakland county.....there must have been a reason as you are not required to appear before the gun board if your record is clean.

I am a Forum User

Me thinks I know the reason for denial. The search button is your friend.

And I was totally unaware the "Most boaters are drinkers..." I'll have to remember that next time I'm in my boat not drinking.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider
    If you been denied at Oakland county.....there must have been a reason as you are not required to appear before the gun board if your record is clean.

I was in front of the OC gun board 8 years ago my background check came back with 2 misdemeanor convictions in the 3 years prier. I was able to prove that I was never in my life convicted of anything but not to the board. They were not interested in listening. I picked up court records went back to the clerks office and had my cpl the same day. That board is there to talk at you not with you.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by drs
    I was in front of the OC gun board 8 years ago my background check came back with 2 misdemeanor convictions in the 3 years prier. I was able to prove that I was never in my life convicted of anything but not to the board. They were not interested in listening. I picked up court records went back to the clerks office and had my cpl the same day. That board is there to talk at you not with you.
    Hopefully you got that cleared up.

3 of us in my immediate family have never had any issues. It has been shall issue with no board appearances. For new or renewals.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast