Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

STI Spartan...Texas or Philippines???

still on the prowl for a 1911, been leaning towards a Colt, DoubleStar, Smith, Dan Wesson or STI til I can afford a Baer/Wilson/Brown etc., and heard really good things about the dirt cheap (relatively) STI Spartan

Heard from one of the other members here that the STI Spartan was made in the Philippines and is being discontinued??...haven't been able to confirm this anywhere else, seems to have a stellar reputation but thats disquieting info.

Also this could be coincidence, but I did notice after hearing this that the grips on the spartan are listed as Philippine Mahogany...

whats the deal? and if you've got a suggestion for a 1911 thats NOT springfield or kimber, shout it out. (i dont hate those brands, but i know enough about them. looking for info on something off the beaten path like a Doublestar or STI.

I am a Forum User
    Doublestar...nice 1911 for the price and yes the spartan was built in the phillipines.

I am a Forum User
    If you buy into the bottom end of a product line just for the "name", chances are high that you will be buying a product made by someone else and made somewhere else (usually off-shore) and is merely branded with the name you desire.

The Spartan is an entry level gun and is/was made by Armscor, Philippines. The online chatter I have seen on it has been mostly positive. To me they are a cheaper version of a Springfield Park'd Loaded model that was made in Brazil for Springfield, but at a bit cheaper price - the prices on the Springfield Loaded models have ballooned a bit over the years...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp
    Doublestar...nice 1911 for the price and yes the spartan was built in the phillipines.
    the Doublestar does look nice but for the price I think I'm leaning towards a DW instead. As to the STI, that sucks, for the price it looks like a hell of a gun. I'm gonna do the smart thing and save up til I have about $1200 for a 1911 that will last me the rest of my life. only prob is after a while it gets lonely....

I am a Forum User
    the Spartan is was by armscor in the Philippines. same people that make RIA and Citadel 1911's. the Spartan has been discontinued for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp
    Built, or the frame and slide were forged in the phillipines, armscorp maybe?

There is a big difference if the skilled labor is in america, and it is fit, finished, and assembled here.

I would have no problems buying one if that is the case.

Nor would i fear a springer.

Not a fan of kimbers and kimbers QC, warranty, or customer service. Kimber is the EXACT opposite of springer with a 30 % price premium or more. Plus there dubious custom shop roll marks on mass produced production line guns.

There is a big difference between sourced parts, raw materials, semi finished products, and state side assembly and much confusion over "made in america".

Lastly i heard there are springfield 1911's with both made in america roll marks, and made in brazil, and this depends on the level of finishing that is done in brazil.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    The Spartan frames and slides were made in the Philippines BUT STI had their own QC people on site. The frames and slides were then shipped to the US for assembly with regular STI internals. This is NOT the same as a Charles Daly or RIA pistol.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    After talking to some people, handling a few higher end ones and pricing them out, the only $600-900 1911 I can really see buying is a Colt or S&W. The STI may be a quality piece, but for the same $ I'd rather have either of the previous two. If I'm gonna spend 1k-1200 its gonna be on a Dan Wesson or Les Baer. I'd buy any of those named for the right price. Have also heard good things about Sig 1911s, but I already have a hard enough decision to make

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB84
    After talking to some people, handling a few higher end ones and pricing them out, the only $600-900 1911 I can really see buying is a Colt or S&W. The STI may be a quality piece, but for the same $ I'd rather have either of the previous two. If I'm gonna spend 1k-1200 its gonna be on a Dan Wesson or Les Baer. I'd buy any of those named for the right price. Have also heard good things about Sig 1911s, but I already have a hard enough decision to make
    I have been aching for a dan wesson Cbob commander for about a year. Very slick, and i like the plain slide with very tiny roll marks, i hate giant crap written all over my slide.

Les baer is a great company also.

I like wilson combat allot, but i am not sure i need a $2,000-$2500 1911.

I think the dan wesson is a nice good quality piece for he price. Not cheaping out, not quite the cache of a wilson, nighthawk, les baer, but fine by me. You wont be slumming it with a dan wesson thats for sure.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    The Spartan frames and slides were made in the Philippines BUT STI had their own QC people on site. The frames and slides were then shipped to the US for assembly with regular STI internals. This is NOT the same as a Charles Daly or RIA pistol.

STI had texans in the Philippines?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast