Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

what grain 30-06 do you shoot?

I've put everything from 150s to 220s through my model 70, it shoots everything very well. I want to find a load and stick with it..... whats the best blend of knockdown and trajectory? Prob dont need anything heavier than 180s, maybe that is even too much. According to Chuck Hawks, 150s and 180s give a max point blank range of 287 and 269 yards respectively and about 2.5" high at 100 yards. Had a GREAT range day today with Remington corelokt 165gr. Is 165 a good compromise between 150s and 180? or is it an oddball weight that should be avoided? I'd like to be able to make 300 yards my max range for a whitetail-vitals size target (8"-10"?) without giving up the ability to take shots under 100 yards.

PS the way my gun handled the 220s makes me wonder about twist rates...im 99% sure mine is 1:10....it seems that if it handles the heavier rounds that well, then thats what I should shoot?? Seems that the traditional 150-165 gr would do even better out of a 1:12, though they seem just fine out of every 30-06 ive ever shot. ive heard that 30-06/.308 are very forgiving when it comes to bullet weight and twist rate...comments?
    Last edited by PaulB84; 03-27-2010 at 09:29 PM.

I am a Forum User
    165 gr is a good blend of bullet wt and velocity, that said I've always used 150 gr spitzers for everything including elk, mule/WT deer and black bear out to 200 yds or less. The 150's are more limited for long range, I used them on antelope and coyote but hesitate to recommend for larger game. Is it a long range choice for WT deer, 165's might be a tad better for long range energy retention 200+ yd.
    If all I had available were 150 gr loads and a shot presented itself on an elk at 300 yrd I would definitely take the shot as long as I could put it in the heart/lungs. Knowing that the potential for long range shots were possible then I would definitely use the 165's for my general use cartridge.
    When you get over the 165's then excessive bullet drop becomes problematic (180 +gr) unless you really know the rifle/cartridge combination. 200 and 220 gr's are great for those relatively close shots on really big game, over elk sized game in my mind.
    The original military 30-06 Gov't round was based on the 165/168 gr bullet if that helps.

I am a Forum User
    My Winchester m 70 Loves the Remington 165gr.coreloks
    I zero in at 200 and its 2 1/2 in high at 100.
    After that I just leave everything alone.
    I shot any and every thing at that setting.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 45/70fan
    The original military 30-06 Gov't round was based on the 165/168 gr bullet if that helps.

Badriver what you say corresponds EXACTLY with the paper numbers Ive read, which is pretty amazing. I think I'm gonna run the 165's for a while and see how I like it...After watching my cousin drop a 160lber in november with a 130gr .270 shooting winchester supremes, so I'm not worried about knocking down deer, but I would like the potential for more without changing my setup by much. Do you use the Corelokts for hunting? is there any reason to step up to a pricier round in the same weight? The winchester supremes are very impressive, never tried them in my gun though. Remington also makes premium quality 165/168s. I had it loaded with 180 gr Winchester CXP 2's or 3's all last year. Like that round alot, maybe ill try it or the remington ultras in a 165 or 168....thoughts?
    Last edited by PaulB84; 03-27-2010 at 11:01 PM.

The 165/168 gr bullets are the most logical choice but, who picks a bullet just because the numbers show it to be best?
    I like 150gr in my Sauer and 180s in my MRI just because they are the bullet that shoots most accurate in that particular rifle..
    Never had a animal complain the bullet wasn`t good enough yet
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by 45/70fan

I always thought the 06 started with the same 220 gr bullet as the old 30-40 Krag when it was 1st developed and known as the 30-03 and later went to a 170/180gr (172gr?) around the start of the 1st WW until WW2 when the army went to 150 gr bullets to lower recoil....I could be mistaken though.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    i use 5000gr bullets

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
    The 165/168 gr bullets are the most logical choice but, who picks a bullet just because the numbers show it to be best?
    I like 150gr in my Sauer and 180s in my MRI just because they are the bullet that shoots most accurate in that particular rifle..
    Never had a animal complain the bullet wasn`t good enough yet
    By numbers I meant trajectory, drop, POI etc not bullet performance on game. Its reassuring to hear firsthand what the ammo companies put out is right on.

as far as I can tell, after shooting corelokts in 150, 165, 180 and 220, the groupings are nearly identical (obviously POI is different) so it comes down to personal choice, which is so cool (and rare) when a gun gives you that option instead of only doing its best work with one type of ammo

I am a Forum User
    winchester supreme 168 grain.

never an issue, and ALWAYS the correct outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
    I always thought the 06 started with the same 220 gr bullet as the old 30-40 Krag when it was 1st developed and known as the 30-03 and later went to a 170/180gr (172gr?) around the start of the 1st WW until WW2 when the army went to 150 gr bullets to lower recoil....I could be mistaken though.
    Yer not.
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast