Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

Question Wolf 7.62x39 Rounds... Not Penetrating?

Howdy,

At my gun range we use Plywood Boards as backers. At the pistol range, my Glock 23 will punch nice clean .40 cal holes through.

Today I was shooting an AK at the 50 yard range, and while the paper had nice punched out holes, on the actual Plywood there were indentations where the bullet hit the Plywood, but as for an actual hole there were only realllly tiny needle-size holes punched through. At some impact points it didn't look like the round even went all the way through.

I'm just really surprised the ammo isn't punching larger clear holes through, especially considering this round is supposed to be able to smash bricks, etc. Is there a good explanation why this is happening? Is it because it's Wolf ammo?

Thanks!

Banned Forum User
    could be because the plywood is wet and acts more like a rubber and deflects and closes on the hole.

I am a Forum User
    the holes that 7.62x39 makes are small...

take a cone and shoot it with a ak and it doesn't even fall over.. it just gets riddled with holes..

maybe its going through the plywood but the entry/exit holes are being covered?

idk.. but 7.62x39 will penetrate plywood easily.. i shot through 2x4's with wolf ammo no problem.. even shot through a tree easily..

On some material the entry hole will close up. I shot some bowling pins with my AK and AR and there was almost NO visible entry hole just a mark but I know it went through because it left a nice size exit hole.

Shot same pins with a 460 S&W Mag (pointed lead rounds) and had same results just bigger exit hole.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by buk
    maybe its going through the plywood but the entry/exit holes are being covered?

Quote Originally Posted by donald150
    On some material the entry hole will close up. I shot some bowling pins with my AK and AR and there was almost NO visible entry hole
    Thanks guys! I actually didn't go behind the stops to check. The entry holes were probably getting covered up for whatever reason.

I do remember a ton of dirt getting thrown up on the berm, so it definitely was going through.

I am a Forum User
    Trust me, it goes through. I shoot all kinds of random stuff with an ak. right before winter hit i decided to be a lumberjack and was cutting trees in half, it made it through a 6" tree fairly easily, it cut it down eventually with about 30-40 shots, but the shots clearly made it through.

I am a Forum User
    if you wanna see stuff explode use a mosin

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by buk
    if you wanna see stuff explode use a mosin
    Or a 12 gauge slug

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOddity
    Howdy,

At my gun range we use Plywood Boards as backers. At the pistol range, my Glock 23 will punch nice clean .40 cal holes through.

Today I was shooting an AK at the 50 yard range, and while the paper had nice punched out holes, on the actual Plywood there were indentations where the bullet hit the Plywood, but as for an actual hole there were only realllly tiny needle-size holes punched through. At some impact points it didn't look like the round even went all the way through.

I'm just really surprised the ammo isn't punching larger clear holes through, especially considering this round is supposed to be able to smash bricks, etc. Is there a good explanation why this is happening? Is it because it's Wolf ammo?

Thanks!
    50yard 3/8 plate steel nice holes with fmj 762x39

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pgaplayerless
    could be because the plywood is wet and acts more like a rubber and deflects and closes on the hole.
    OMFG THAT FUNNY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast