Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun notebook?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kevins_garage
    You mean like this?

LMAO....

Classic. realy, truley.....CLASSIC!

I am a Forum User
    The only logs I keep are for reloaded ammo for different guns.

I am a Forum User
    Buffalo Arms has what they call a "Shooter's Notebook" - looks like just a spiral bound 6 column notebook - although it says waterproof (don't know if they just mean the cover, or each page...)

But it does sound like a good idea - at least for the cost, upgrades, S/N, round count, scheduled maintenance stuff.

I am a Forum User
    I keep a shooting log that consist of
    -what guns I shot at the range that day
    -How many rounds were shot through each gun (helps to keep an accurate round count for you weapons and lets you know when maintenance needs to be done)
    -what drills or style of shooting I did
    -what were my average times on the drills were or groups in MOA
    -what I sucked at and need to get better doing or what needs to be changed around with gun/gear

I also have data books for Precision rifles that are more about documenting conditions, dope, accuracy, and marksmanship issues. These are formatted and more or less don't really elaborate into many other areas.

Keeping a log has helped me to keep round counts on my weapons, hone in on practical training, track my progress (or lack thereof), and focus on gear/gun issues that need to be addressed.

I am a Forum User
    At Edson's range my primary marksmanship instructor (PMI) I was taught to to record the dope (windage and elevation) of my rifle prior to firing the round, mark every round and then record the strike of the round and record any modifications to your wingage and elevation. This is a good practice.

Most importantly, you need to record the serial number of each weapon you own. I was just talking to a guy that got his weapons stolen by his inherited dead beat drug abusing kid from his 2nd marriage. He said his insurance would not pay because he did not have a list of make and serial numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by kevins_garage
    You mean like this?
    I'd say that is more of a diary. I could keep one of those, too, but I should probably hide it under my mattress.

I am a Forum User
    I keep all my RI-60 copies and reciepts. Thats it.

Wow, keeping the targets shot with each gun?

I agree, I think that is a little excessive. I mean, I probably have room in my house to keep a ton of targets, but I certainly wouldn't be able to make any use of them once they were piled a foot high everywhere. Maybe he means the factory target?

Every shot fired, every malfunction, dates fired, brand and type of ammo, cleaning, and date of purchase, serial number, and date of sale.

Helps on resale as well as maintenance.
    "Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Galen_M
    I agree, I think that is a little excessive. I mean, I probably have room in my house to keep a ton of targets, but I certainly wouldn't be able to make any use of them once they were piled a foot high everywhere. Maybe he means the factory target?
    Probably should have clarified. I keep one target of each kind of ammo shot through it. It's easier to fold up a target than it is to measure the holes to get the group size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast