Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle77
    I have to humbly disagree with you on the statement that they all feel the same. The Kimbers, Smiths, Colts, and Springfields had distinct feels/grips to them, at least to me. Now, overall they are roughly the same type gun, but each one felt different in my hand, if only slightly. I'm not against the Para's at all, I just haven't found one I like yet. As for finding an XSE on the shelf, I agree it's probably not going to happen. But..you never know. If I were able to hold one and I really liked it, I would be more willing to hold out for one, but as for now, it looks like I'm going to go in a different direction. If Kimbers had more than 1 year warranty, I would go in that direction, but the fact that it's only a 1 year warranty really makes me hold back from them. If I had to buy today, I'd go with the Smith and Wesson Compact ES, and just have a smith make the safety ambi for me. Heading to a couple more shops today. Wish me luck!

Later,

Eagle77
    Good luck happy hunting, i hope you find what your looking for.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by XDM 40 cal
    Pick your brain, How do you feel about springfields loaded 1911?? AMS? Is the para's made better now?

Cool , they did have a few 1911's there and they have one i want,but sorry they didnt have the colt you were looking for.
    Haven't played with any new Paras from their US factory, however, both of mine came from that bad time frame, and both work well - Just wanted to give full disclosure.

As for the Springfields - for a SUB $1000 gun, they are tight, and have all the goodies that most people want. Keep in mind that a milspec 1911 is basically a lego gun - any parts that you don't have, but want (or don't want, but have) can easily be swapped out, most of the time, without even a gunsmith involved.

As for them all feeling the same, there are minor differences that make up major comfort issues. For instance, the grip safety/beavertail (original GI, standard height, high-ride) makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the gun. Then, take into consideration the "memory bump" or "indexing bump" on two different high-ride safeties can make a WORLD of difference - i.e. the smaller, smooth bump of a Wilson high-ride, vs. the aggressive, almost textured bump of a Les Baer. How is the mainspring housing stippled/checkered, or is is finished different? Is the front strap checkered? How aggressive? Are the corners of the gun sharp, or are they "melted"?

Bigger deal yet - is the frame steel or alloy? What about the mainspring housing? Is it rounded, GI-style, flat, or bobbed?

I would submit that if you threw the same grips on 6 different manufacturer's 1911's (even if they were the same size) you would still have 6 different feeling 1911's.

Get you hands on as many as possible. See what feels "right". If you find a gun that feels right, but it only has a standard safety on it, have a 'smith put an ambi on for you (there are only about 25 different kinds and feels to ambi-safeties ). At the same time, realize that if the 1911 bug bites you, you will own more than one, and probably customize what you do own

I am a Forum User
    Well, I went down to Firing Line in Westland, and man they have a nice store there. Lots of guns, and low and behold, they actually had a Colt Light Weight Commander! I LOVED the feel of this gun, and it was a "Ghost" model, which said 1 of 400 made. The price was very reasonable and it felt absolutely wonderful, and it's Colt. I decided to buy it! I put some money down on it, now I just need to get my purchase permit, and go pick it up! I cannot wait to shoot it, and I'll post a few pics on here in the next week or so when I pick it up!

Thanks for all of the advice and help!

Later,

Eagle77

I am a Forum User

Thumbs up

Well, I went down to Firing Line in Westland, and man they have a nice store there. Lots of guns, and low and behold, they actually had a Colt Light Weight Commander!

Eagle77
    I haven't heard of "Firing Line" until I read your post so I pulled up their web site and I couldn't really see much but I did read that they have .380 ammo so I think I'll drive over there on Monday.

Well, I went down to Firing Line in Westland, and man they have a nice store there. Lots of guns, and low and behold, they actually had a Colt Light Weight Commander! I LOVED the feel of this gun, and it was a "Ghost" model, which said 1 of 400 made. The price was very reasonable and it felt absolutely wonderful, and it's Colt. I decided to buy it! I put some money down on it, now I just need to get my purchase permit, and go pick it up! I cannot wait to shoot it, and I'll post a few pics on here in the next week or so when I pick it up!

Thanks for all of the advice and help!

Later,

Eagle77
    Well congrats and I hope to see you around at the range...

where are going to shoot at??
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456