Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garyjt
    Furthermore, a hole thru your heart from a 25 is still going to kill you pretty quick.
    Maybe. There have been people who survived hearts punctured by shrapnel, rerod, etc. The heart has an amazing ability to self-seal leaks.
    Depending upon where the heart is perforated, the size of the hole, etc., and the physical state of the attacker, you are still in immediate danger for up several minutes; ample time to be killed by a dead man.

Deer shot through the heart still run 100 yards before dropping, a goblin shot through the heart with a .25 can still stick a knife in you, shoot you, etc., before dropping from hydraulic failure.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Bottom line: 99% of the time, a Beretta 25 auto with Winchester Silvertips, whether you actually fire it or not, and if you know how to use it, will do the job of preventing a crime.
    By your logic, I don't even need to load the gun, so the hollowpoints are a waste; just wave the empty gun around and crime will just disappear.

If I feel the need to produce a gun, I'm not waiting to see if it scares my attacker away. If the situation warrants drawing my weapon, the situation warrants firing as soon as I can get the sights on target.

If the situation does not warrant pulling the trigger with the intent of stopping the criminal attack, the situation does not warrant drawing the weapon.

If a situation warrants firing my weapon, I want the reasonable chance that the shots fired will produce that halt of aggression, and a .25 just doesn't do that well.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    (Geeez!!!! you guys are tiring me out!!!! Just send me all those old Beretta 25 autos that you dont want.)
    Since all YOU need is a Beretta 25 send me all YOUR guns that aren't Beretta 25's. I'll even pay shipping to Chewy's so I can collect them.

I am a Forum User
    There's no doubt that .25auto IS NOT the ideal self defense round. The chances of physically incapacitating an attacker is greater with just about every other popular round (with the possible exception of .22LR ... which is probably about equal).

However, it is also accurate to say that in the MAJORITY of self-defense situations it WILL be sufficient to stop an attacker. So ... the .25 that you actually carry is a heck of a lot better than the .45 than you've left at home.

Personally ... when the weather is cool enough for me to wear a jacket I carry a .full sized .357 revolver or a 1911 .45 automatic. In most warm weather situations, I carry a Glock 27 in .40S&W ... however, I also have one of those .22LR mini revolvers for situations where it's awkward to carry anything else ... and I'm very happy to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy
    By your logic, I don't even need to load the gun, so the hollowpoints are a waste; just wave the empty gun around and crime will just disappear.

If I feel the need to produce a gun, I'm not waiting to see if it scares my attacker away. If the situation warrants drawing my weapon, the situation warrants firing as soon as I can get the sights on target.

If the situation does not warrant pulling the trigger with the intent of stopping the criminal attack, the situation does not warrant drawing the weapon.

If a situation warrants firing my weapon, I want the reasonable chance that the shots fired will produce that halt of aggression, and a .25 just doesn't do that well.

I am a Forum User
    Get 25 auto Winchester Silvertips - its the best for a 25, and you will be fine.

I assume we are talking about a tiny 25 Beretta 950 Jetfire, which is as reliable a semi-auto as you can get.

I personally always like to mix bullets in a carrry gun, so if you shoot an attacker with 6 Winchester Silvertips AND 2 FMJ, then they should go away and pick on somebody else................if they live that long.

I agree with CrimDoc that bad guys dont like to get shot by any caliber - it hurts!!!! and besides, there are enough unarmed other people for them to pick on.

Furthermore, I dont know anyone here at MGO who would volunteer to get shot in the face by a 25 Winchester Silvertip

BTW, a 25 auto Beretta is surprisingly a VERY accurate gun for its size and if you practice some, then you should have no problem getting in 6 head shots plus 2 in the heart. (Furthermore, I doubt that a Beretta 25 would go off just by dropping it - esp if it is at "safe half cock" AND has the thumb safety on)

Yes the 25 I have is a older Beretta that I bought when I was younger. I guess its better then no gun at all for now.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish55
    Yes the 25 I have is a older Beretta that I bought when I was younger. I guess its better then no gun at all for now.
    It is a great gun! It is supposed to work flawlessly. Loaded with Winchester Silvertips it is effective for being such a tiny gun, one of the smallest semi-auto guns out there.

Beretta is the oldest gun company in the world, a family owned quality company for 500 years.

The basic early 1900's compact semiauto design/technology in your gun is almost 100 years old tried and true, and the Beretta 950 model itself is about 60 years old. It is also easy to take down and clean, and it "should" be as reliable as any semi-auto on the market today. Its a simple blowback design and it has very few (moving) parts and those parts almost never break. Beretta sold millions of that little gun. It is also a very pretty gun.

YOu may have to go to Gunbroker or Gunsamerica in order to find Winchester Silvertip ammo, but the Silvertips are probably at least twice as good as FMJ rounds.

IF it is "really" old(1950's) then it does not have the left side thumb safety, if it DOES have the thumb safety on the left side of the gun, then it is not as old( >1968 ). Obviously, the thumb safety, in addition to the half cock, make the Beretta Jetfire with double safties, an EXTREMELY save gun to carry.

Do "I" personally normally carry a 25 for self-defense? NO.......... but I "could", and I would if that is all what I had, or if it was summer and I needed something VERY small, or as a back up in addition to my regular carry.

The noise alone of that little tiny gun will scare more than 99% of all intruders away!!!!

But hey, if you decide you dont want the thing, give it to me, I will gladly take it off your hands.

Last edited by garyjt; 05-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack
    Since all YOU need is a Beretta 25 send me all YOUR guns that aren't Beretta 25's. I'll even pay shipping to Chewy's so I can collect them.
    You obviously missed my points completely!! I will take any quality gun.

......but if you want a free gun, then RifleGuy has a deer rifle that he probably does not want since it cannot drop in the tracks 100% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy
    Deer shot through the heart still run 100 yards before dropping,

I am a Forum User
    well, James bond carried one before he was forced to moved to a PPK.

honestly, its no better than a 22lr save for the fact that ignition should be more dependable.

better than nothing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish55
    WHAT GUN IS IT?

Is it a "Baby Beretta"?

If so, DO NOT CARRY WITH ONE IN THE PIPE!

I don't know about "other" Beretta's but the Baby Beretta IS NOT SAFE TO CARRY with one in the pipe even if the safety is on.

The safety is junk on those guns and it CAN fire with the safety engaged.

I am a Forum User
    A close friend of mine was in Vietnam and many times, while there, carried his Rifle, a 1911 in a holster, a 9mm Browning in the small of his back and a .25 acp in his pocket. Knowing he was a proponent, based on experience, that if you are going to shoot full size people you should shoot full size bullets, I asked him "What was the deal with the .25? His response was "Most people don't want to be shot with anything so it may come in handy as a last ditch effort in that situation."

He was actually wounded in Vietnam by a .25 cal, purely due to his own stupidity. He said that he and another Sgt., a guy by the name of Street, (Both Special Forces so they should have known better) were walking through the bush, during the day, on a two track while talking to each other, that's the stupid part, when a VC ran out about 10 yards in front of them, shouted a couple of words then opened fire with a .25 acp handgun. Just a fraction of a second later my friend & Sgt. Street, to use his term, "greased him off the trail" then went and checked to see if the guy (VC) had any useable documents on him.

While doing their search Sgt. Street looked at my friend and said "You've been shot" while pointing right at his chest. My friend looked down and sure enough he saw a little blood on his jacket so he opened it up and yep, the guy had scored.

While telling me this story my friend actually opened his shirt and demonstrated what he did right on the scar that bullet had left. He said he looked down, said "Damn, he shot me right in the heart" then popped the slug out just like you would "pop a pimple", his term not mine.

My friend then went on about how lucky he had been since they were doing everything wrong and he actually deserved to get shot just for that but figured what more than likely helped him the most was "Cheap Chi-Com" (Chinese Communist) ammo that they guy was probably using. He added that if the guy would have opened up with an AK then things would have probably turned out a lot differently.......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast