Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Write your representatives- Form letter and representatives list

In an effort to encourage members to write their reps, as well as to help focus our efforts and make our voices louder, myself and the leadership here decided it would be a good idea to start flooding some public officials offices with some pro 2A letters. Or things we'd like to see in the way of gun rights.

Something professional, short, and to the point. I am going to try to do my best to compose a new one each month, with the help of our members. If anyone else puts something together, and thinks it would be a good one to use one month, please feel free to volunteer it! The more help we can get the better.

I encourage everyone to fill out their reps name, your own name, and then print it out and send it off. Hopefully, everyone sending these letters will create a larger impact than just sending individual letters on different subjects.

Anyways here is letter #1:
    Honorable (insert reps name here)

I am writing you today to express my concern with Michigan's laws on designated pistol free zones, and to ask that you please consider changing these laws which take away peoples rights to defend themselves.

I understand the concern some citizens may have with people carrying firearms in places like colleges, hospitals, and other pistol free zones, but we must remember that only law abiding citizens follow these laws. The only people that pistol free zones protect are criminals. Pistol free zones serve to give criminals the upper hand, as they know these areas are populated by unarmed, law abiding citizens. This makes for easy targets for criminals, if you will.

By infringing on citizen's 2nd Amendment rights(1), we have created mass murder empowerment zones much like the one that was exploited at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007. Pistol free zones clearly take away the power to defend your gift of life, one of the core rights we as human beings and Americans should have.

Everyone who possesses a concealed pistol license (CPL) has already undergone a comprehensive back ground check and taken the required pistol safety training course to meet the requirements set forth by the State Of Michigan (2) to obtain a CPL.

You may be interested to know that Michigan Gun Owners, a grass roots non-profit organization, has collected approximately 300 signatures in support of abolishing pistol free zones. This issue has become a main focus for the organization, and they plan on passing around many more petitions on this issue.

So again, I ask that you please consider repealing the laws that disarm law abiding, tax paying and voting citizens. My fellow CPL holders and I will be paying close attention to issues such as this one, when election time comes around. Please, do the right thing and protect our rights as citizens of Michigan.

Thank you for your time.

(insert your name here)

(1) Second Amendment states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

(2) MCL 28.425b

Here is a quick and easy way to find your rep:

https://www.house.mi.gov/#findarepresentative

https://www.senate.michigan.gov/FindYourSenator/

https://www.congress.gov/members/find-your-member

You can also use "contact lawmakers" right on the front page of MGO

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Last edited by jsxtreme; 02-14-2023 at 07:29 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Thank You for your positive efforts in making MGO a better place to be.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by fbuckner
    Thank You for your positive efforts in making MGO a better place to be.
    Right back at ya.

Before you send out this letter, I suggest you read it to yourself out loud. There are a few places that need to be modified, especially the first sentence in the last paragraph. Reading things to yourself out loud may sound stupid, but it will help you catch stuff like this. When writing a correspondence, it is important to make it as correct as possible, as this is what the reader of that letter will be judging you by.

I have taken the liberty of re-writing it in an attempt to correct some things. Please don't take this personnal. Before I retired, I was responsible for writing a lot of letters and communications, and they almost never were right the first time, requiring re-writes and sometimes re-writes of the re-writes! This may not be perfect, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

I am writing you today to express my concern with Michigan's laws on designated pistol free zones, and to ask that you please consider changing these laws which take away peoples rights to defend themselves.

I understand the concern some citizens may have with people carrying firearms in places like colleges, hospitals, and other pistol free zones, but we must remember that only law abiding citizens follow these laws. The only people that pistol free zones protect are criminals. Pistol free zones serve to give criminals the upper hand, as they know these areas are populated by unarmed, law abiding citizens. This makes for easy targets for criminals, if you will.

By infringing on citizen's 2nd Amendment rights(1), we have created mass murder empowerment zones much like the one that was exploited at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007. Pistol free zones clearly take away the power to defend your gift of life, one of the core rights we as human beings and Americans should have.

Everyone who possesses a concealed pistol license (CPL) has already undergone a comprehensive back ground check and taken the required pistol safety training course to meet the requirements set forth by the State Of Michigan (2) to obtain a CPL.

You may be interested to know that Michigan Gun Owners, a grass roots non-profit organization, has to collected approximately 300 signatures in support of abolishing pistol free zones. This issue has become a main focus for the organization, and they plan on passing around many more petitions on this issue.

So again, I ask that you please consider repealing the laws that disarm law abiding, tax paying and voting citizens. My fellow CPL holders and I will be paying close attention to issues such as this one, when election time comes around. Please, do the right thing and protect our rights as citizens of Michigan.

Thank you for your time.

<insert your name here>

(1) Second Amendment states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

(2) MCL 28.425b
    Lighten up Francis.

I am a Forum User
    I don't take it personal at all, I appreciate the help! I havent had much time to polish it since making the first draft.

I'll cut and paste what you wrote into my first post. Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Done! Thanks. That is the second time I've ever contacted someone in government.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger
    Done! Thanks. That is the second time I've ever contacted someone in government.
    Awesome!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks a lot for putting some time into this. I would like to encourage people to use the form letter as a template, but to please try and put it in your own words, at least to some extent. The Rep's aids will read these and tell their boss about them, but when it feels like a form letter they don't take it as seriously.

Again, great idea, and thanks for stepping up.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Will-IB-Ready
    Thanks a lot for putting some time into this. I would like to encourage people to use the form letter as a template, but to please try and put it in your own words, at least to some extent. The Rep's aids will read these and tell their boss about them, but when it feels like a form letter they don't take it as seriously.

Again, great idea, and thanks for stepping up.
    Yeah that's why I tried to make it sound more like a personal letter than just a form letter. But I agree!

So has anyone mailed this out besides who has posted? I've sent out a few this week. I hope we get more participation than just this!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme
    Yeah that's why I tried to make it sound more like a personal letter than just a form letter. But I agree!

So has anyone mailed this out besides who has posted? I've sent out a few this week. I hope we get more participation than just this!

I sent it out to my reps this week.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast