Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fixing Stripped Screw Hole

I picked up this used Mossberg MVP Predator a while back, and I've been pretty happy with it, at least until the Williams front sight came loose. Apparently the previous owner (or someone prior to them) stripped out the screw hole for the front sight base, and then just re-secured it with a combination of red Loctite and hope. The screw just spins now. I thought about filling in the hole with epoxy, but I doubt that will have the sheer strength to adequately re-torque the screw.

What's the best way to fix this? Will I need to drill-out the hole and re-tap it, then somehow find a new screw that will work? If I decide to go the gunsmith route, can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Jackson area?

Thanks!
    Name:  PXL_20230213_033829841.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  86.1 KB

I am a Forum User
    JB Weld ??

I am a Forum User
    Two options: drill out the hole to the next larger thread size and retap it (requiring a new screw); or drill a new hole 3/8ths of an inch in front or back, so the sight covers the old screw hole.

The heat and shock of firing will defeat any epoxy-based repair.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Two options: drill out the hole to the next larger thread size and retap it (requiring a new screw); or drill a new hole 3/8ths of an inch in front or back, so the sight covers the old screw hole.

The heat and shock of firing will defeat any epoxy-based repair.
    Rocksett won't. That's used on muzzle devices with silencers and doesn't come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Rocksett won't. That's used on muzzle devices with silencers and doesn't come loose.
    https://www.amazon.com/Flexbar-15014.../dp/B001C1D800

I'd try this first, and if it doesn't get the job done (I'd be surprised), I'd suggest drilling/tapping to the next standard size, using a starter and bottoming tap
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

How the hell did someone strip out the threads in that hole? Where there threads in there to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Flexbar-15014.../dp/B001C1D800

I'd try this first, and if it doesn't get the job done (I'd be surprised), I'd suggest drilling/tapping to the next standard size, using a starter and bottoming tap
    This is tempting. I already have a big bottle of Rocksett I use for muzzle devices (like the one pictured). If it doesn't work out, it will be a lot easier to remove than epoxy since it dissolves in water.

I'm trying to think through the process to do this. Maybe fill in the hole with Rocksett, coat the screw in some kind of release agent (oil?), thread in the screw, wipe off excess, let it harden, remove screw, and then good to re-mount front sight? Thoughts?

If it comes down to drilling/tapping, I'll probably just hire a gunsmith - that's not something I've done before, and though I'd like to learn, I don't have a lot of free time right now for another project that could become a Whole Other Thing (baby on the way, and home renovations in progress). Has anyone used Iles Custom Gunsmithing LLC in Allen, MI (near Hillsdale) before?

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    How the hell did someone strip out the threads in that hole? Where there threads in there to begin with?
    They grunted too much while tightening it, probably. I am kind of amazed that the hole gave up before a flathead screw did - the slot is still nice and sharp. Unless it's not the original screw.

I am a Forum User
    Rocksett is a Joke, red loctite works better. I put Rocksett on three different muzzle devices and went to remove later and with little effort was able to remove all three with just a wrench.

Rocksett is not a repair product.

Stop at your local hardware store. Find a tiny screw that is .030-040" larger in diameter. Buy the matching tap, a sixer of beer, and you're good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast