Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 HM2

MGO Member

.17 HM2

Been thinking about buying a Savage .17 HM2 for use around the barn on chucks. Ranges won't be long maybe 60 yds or so and the last thing I need is a bullet bouncing around the livestock. Not looking to buy its big brother just something some what quiet and safe, anyone have one?

I am nott familair with the .17 hm2, I am not see a plethora of ammo choices.

What do you want to shoot out of it, I would let the ammo dictate what you buy, sub sonic 22, frangible ammo etc.

I am not seeing that for the 17 hm2.

Also if you get a nice set up you can use it for other stuff, this might be pretty limited use for you.

I do not own one, but from what I have seen they are definitely NOT as quiet as a 22 and, ammo is NOT going to be found in the local Meijers, Wal Marts or small gun shops.
    It IS a very accurate cartridge and IS a step above the 22lr in killing power. I also expect it will be less prone to ricochet.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I had a 1022 in 17HM2 for a few years, bought it from an MGO member IIRC.
    I found it to be accurate but very wind sensitive. Light breeze would increase horizontal spread on my groups.
    The 17HMR CZ455 I replaced it with does better in wind, just plain old speed. I think 22lr does better actually.
    Definitely an ear-pro required round, quite a bark to it. Never shot it suppressed like I have with my 17HMR.
    Makes a huge difference if you plan on a can. Throws the sound downrange, very unique effect it makes.

If it were me sniping chucks at that range it would be a suppressed 77/22 with some 45gr subs.

Pic is my old 17HM2 1022
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

I am a Forum User
    In a few years, you'll be able to hang it on the wall next to your Remington 591 and 592.

MGO Member
    30 years of pounding PD's out west has equipped me with all I need to reach out, what I'm looking for is something to take out chucks around buildings, livestock and equipment. Most people have no clue how far bouncing bullets travel!

Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    30 years of pounding PD's out west has equipped me with all I need to reach out, what I'm looking for is something to take out chucks around buildings, livestock and equipment. Most people have no clue how far bouncing bullets travel!

Truer words have never been spoken!

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    You probably have a 22 lr rifle. Try a different of bullet type, such as ... 22 lr subsonic quiet … Good luck and post your results.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...d-hollow-point

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    Been thinking about buying a Savage .17 HM2 for use around the barn on chucks. Ranges won't be long maybe 60 yds or so and the last thing I need is a bullet bouncing around the livestock. Not looking to buy its big brother just something some what quiet and safe, anyone have one?
    Sounds like you know what you want. Some what quiet?......well, quieter than a centerfire varmint cartridge. Savage MKII #26702 is the model I would suggest for your use. You don't need a heavy bull barrel for what you describe. Sporter profile balances better in that synthetic stock. They are around 5lbs + the scope.
    At this time I have a .17HM2 barrel for my 77/22 and a CZ 452 Varmint in .17HM2. Hornady is making ammo and finding it is no problem.
    Ricochets won't be a problem with this round. Shoot them into a waterbottle, with the cap off, at 25yds. You will get a water geyser, but the bottle usually has only an entry hole, with the disentagrated bullet inside.
    I recently bought a brick of the 15gr GMX solid copper rounds to try out.

What about an air rifle?
    I've a friend that swears by his Benjamin Marauder on woodchucks and squirrels out to the ranges you mentioned plus a few yards.
    I have seen a few different brands of rifle in a variety of calibers and have been very impressed by all of them. One shooter that I have talked with on the local range a few times has even managed to kill a few deer with his in 9mm at ranges below 40-50 yds.
    Noise is going to be close to a 22 short in volume, but the extreme range of the pellet is fairly limited. Certainly much less then a 22lr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast