Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

11.3 AR pistol OAL under 26" possible?

So I have a sba3 lower that with buffer tube is just under 15" to front of receiver threads. I'm calculating that with an 11.3 barrel I'd just under 26 at about 25.8 accosting for barre to chamber that is inside receiver (.660?) Maybe I’m wrong though.

Anyone else run a 11.3 (yes NOT 11.5) or something bigger and just squeezed in dimensionally. I'm assuming I'm calculating barrel right length allowing for the part of the barrel to bolt face inside upper.

Or am I totally missing something?
    Last edited by gidaeon; 01-19-2021 at 11:04 PM.

I am a Forum User
    With a 10.5" barrel and your average carbine buffer tube you'll be at 25.75". Only way to get under with an 11.3" is to use a Maxim or SB Tactical PDW style brace.

I am a Forum User
    Ok thanks. I clearly went wrong somewhere then with my math and understanding of barrel length outside of receiver.

I am a Forum User
    correction - my initial math was right. With an sba3 fully collapsed it’s just under 26” to the end of the barrel sans muzzle device. Just measured one with the barrel on.

A sub 26” OAL 11.3 AR is indeed possible due to barrel portion in reciever at least with sba3 and included buffer tube.

I am a Forum User
    I thought it was a 10.5" and milspec buffer tube gets you just under 26", too. Could've sworn that's what I measured years ago with my 10.5". Its been a few years, so I decided to mock up an 11.5" barrel I have (looks to actually be 11 and 5/8" length). Used a buffer tube that I'm almost positive is milspec, but can't remember where I got it from. Measured milspec diameter, but don't know if any other measurements are "correct". Well, looks like an 11.5" barrel will get you around 25.75" OAL, 25.875" with my barrel.

If anyone is interested, looks like you can go up to around a 12.8" barrel with a Maxim CQB brace and be just under 26" . Measured from the tube, not the brace.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
    correction - my initial math was right. With an sba3 fully collapsed it’s just under 26” to the end of the barrel sans muzzle device. Just measured one with the barrel on.

A sub 26” OAL 11.3 AR is indeed possible due to barrel portion in reciever at least with sba3 and included buffer tube.
    Actual measurement taken? I was at 25.75" on a 10.5" barrel.

I am a Forum User
    25 7/8 with the sba3 on. 25 3/4 without brace.

I am a Forum User
    I'd have to see it to believe it. Otherwise I don't understand how my 10.5" measures 25.75" with the brace and FH off.

Tape measures are notoriously off though.

I am a Forum User
    I got the same thing. I will try to get a pic up tomorrow.

I am a Forum User
    Are you measuring your barrel length properly? The barrel length is measured from the closed-bolt front-of-breech-face to the front end of barrel with no muzzle device.

With bolt closed and locked just slide something down the bore until it contacts the bolt breech face, then mark the (whatever you used) at the front of the bare muzzle.

Then remove the measuring (whatever you used) and measure to the mark that you made. (no guessing and no math involved)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast