Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    H.R. 38, as is, would basically do that (give us the same thing LEOSA gives to cops). Only unlike cops, us regular folk just have to follow the process for CPLs, no quals every year.

There could also be something like national constitutional carry... but I feel like that's a pipe dream right now. We can't even get that in Michigan.
    Problem is, when we try to fix Michigan CPL law, the squishy gun owners line up against us for the sake of "National Reciprocity". HR 38 probably won't pass and Michigan law will remain problematic.

Cops have to qualify annually to carry under LEOSA? I did not know that. I figured that once they retire, in as little as ten years, that they didn't need CPL training or annual qualifications.

H.R. 38, as is, would basically do that (give us the same thing LEOSA gives to cops). Only unlike cops, us regular folk just have to follow the process for CPLs, no quals every year.

There could also be something like national constitutional carry... but I feel like that's a pipe dream right now. We can't even get that in Michigan.
    Problem is, when we try to fix Michigan CPL law, the squishy gun owners line up against us for the sake of "National Reciprocity". HR 38 probably won't pass and Michigan law will remain problematic.

Cops have to qualify annually to carry under LEOSA? I did not know that. I figured that once they retire, in as little as ten years, that they didn't need CPL training or annual qualifications.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    Correct. So, to avoid that issue altogether I simply attended a CPL course of instruction, paid my money and carry under a CPL like everyone else. LEOSA carriers although retired, still have to go through their former agency's course of fire and be certified annually. As opposed to the 5 year joke of a requal for CPL holders like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Man View Post
    Correct. So, to avoid that issue altogether I simply attended a CPL course of instruction, paid my money and carry under a CPL like everyone else. LEOSA carriers although retired, still have to go through their former agency's course of fire and be certified annually. As opposed to the 5 year joke of a requal for CPL holders like me.
    Can the agency/department refuse to offer the course to retirees? What if you move away from the area?

Just curious.

I am a Forum User
    Can the agency/department refuse to offer the course to retirees? What if you move away from the area?

Just curious.
    Yes they can and they have to a few friends of mine. Because of that, I opted to go the CPL route. Because P.L. 108-277 (LEOSA) states that the retiree bears the burden of costs associated with the certification, I suppose that some of these agencies don't want to be bothered with the logistics of how to process payments for ammunition and Instructor fees. But, I'm just guessing with regard to that. I do know a few retirees who have no issues getting re-certified.

As for moving away, out of State, unless they worked for a Federal Agency I suppose they would have to make the trip back or they are SOL.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Seems we already have such law......

I am a Forum User
    Thanks!
    You're most welcome.

Another carve-out, soon it will be our turn, NOT!

Now I know how it must feel to be the last kid picked to play a baseball game.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast