Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

300 AAC Blackout for deer

With 300 BLK being a relatively new round I thought it would be good to have some real life results on its effectiveness. If you use this cartridge for deer post up the specifics of your results. Please don't turn this into an argument thread. Let's just get some good data. Thanks in advance everyone.

I am a Forum User
    1 1/2 year old Michigan northern lower peninsula buck. I thought long and hard before I dropped the hammer on him. I like the idea of "let them go, let them grow" but I like the idea of venison in the freezer for my family better. Wish it would have been a doe of the same size. Anyhow, 50 yard shot quartered moderately toward me. Bullet entered right side just behind an outstretched front leg. It exited left side at the diaphragm. Double lung, clipped the liver and after rinsing the heart well I found it to be bruised. I don't know if that was just the blood settling or if it was caused by the temporary wound cavity. Rifle is a 300 AAC Blackout. Ammunition used was Winchester Deer Season XP 150 grain ballistic tip. Whitetail ran about 125 after being shot and expired. Blood trail consisted of eye dropper sizes drops of blood every couple of feet. It was by no means a blood bath but consistent enough to follow. I am glad it ran out of the swamp rather than deeper in as this probably would have made tracking more difficult.

I am a Forum User
    Shot my last 2 dear with my 300blk SBR. Hand loaded 130g Barnes TTSX. Both neck shot at around 100 yards. Bled out within 15 yards of where hit. The SBR makes a very handy tree stand rifle. This year I get to run it suppressed. Up hunting now so hopefully this week I'll repeat!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    Shot my last 2 dear with my 300blk SBR. Hand loaded 130g Barnes TTSX. Both neck shot at around 100 yards. Bled out within 15 yards of where hit. The SBR makes a very handy tree stand rifle. This year I get to run it suppressed. Up hunting now so hopefully this week I'll repeat!
    Deliberate neck shot? Why?

I am a Forum User
    Shot a big doe few years back with my Handi Rifle and Barnes 110 grain vortex. She was maybe 30 yards away and I took a high shoulder shot. She fell over dead. I was hoping to recover the bullet but it went clean through. I was impressed.

MGO Member
    I used my 25 45 Sharps a couple days but shot the doe fawn w/ the 77/44 and it ran about 75 yards spraying blood every 15 feet or so. Glad there was some snow on the ground as it made it a walking track.

I am a Forum User
    300 BO/Whisper is ballistically similar to the 30-30 or 7.62x39.

Both of the above have proven VERY effective on deer-sized animals. ( given the realistic limitations.. it isnt a 3 mile sniper rifle.. lol)

I am a Forum User
    [QUOTEDeliberate neck shot? Why? ][/QUOTE]

Because if you are confident in your shot placement it is the quickest way to kill. Cutting both jugulars is extremely effective. A nice benefit is they bleed out right there so processing is simple since there is very little blood. On both of my shots the doe never took another step. I would not take that shot on a buck I planned to mount because I would not want holes in the cape but for harvesting it is very effective. Again you really have to be confident in your shot placement.

MGO Board of Directors

There's a lot of area that isn't "vitals" on the neck.
    I have never had good luck with this shot.
    Maybe if I had X ray vision!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    I can not remember the last time I shot a deer that I did not shoot in the neck or head, and I have not gone without venison for at least 30 yrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast