Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 4066 of 2021
    Weapons: concealed; local government restrictions on usage, concealment, and transportation of knives; prohibit. Creates new act.
    Last Action: 11/9/2021 referred to Committee on Local Government and Municipal Finance

Still working on it?
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Maybe Whitmer had some specific concerns they're trying to address? To my knowledge, we still don't know exactly why she vetoed it. Maybe she's communicated to the legislature that she's open to signing it with some modifications.

Alternatively, maybe they're trying for a veto override?

Just guesses... and probably wishful thinking.
    Last edited by Scandiacus; 11-10-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiacus View Post
    Maybe Whitmer had some specific concerns they're trying to address? To my knowledge, we still don't know exactly why she vetoed it. Maybe she'd be open to signing it with some modifications.

Alternatively, maybe they're trying for a veto override?

Just guesses.
    My guess is since this was bipartisan it was a good way for her to reassert her dominance since she took a spanking on the whole fine everyone and year long Emergency power thing. She sees herself as a ruler and us as her subjects.

A bipartisan veto override would be spectacular! I don't see that happening but...
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    HB 4066 of 2021
    Weapons: concealed; local government restrictions on usage, concealment, and transportation of knives; prohibit. Creates new act.
    Last Action: 11/9/2021 referred to Committee on Local Government and Municipal Finance

Still working on it?
    What does that mean when it's referred to a committee after it's been vetoed?

From HJ 94:

Executive Office, Lansing, November 5, 2021

Michigan House of Representatives

State Capitol Building

Lansing, MI 48909-7514

Representatives,

Today, I am returning Enrolled House Bill 4066 without my approval. This legislation would have prohibited local governments from enacting or enforcing any knife law stricter than state law.

Crime is local. In my view, citizens of Michigan’s cities and towns – not Lansing politicians – should be able to make their own public safety decisions. HB 4066 would deprive them of that power. I am therefore vetoing this legislation.

As a former prosecutor, public safety is a top priority for me. I want Michiganders to feel safe, whether going to and from work, dropping their kids off at school, or running errands. That is why I have put forward a $75 million plan called MI Safe Communities, informed by hundreds of conversations my team and I had with law enforcement officers, community leaders, faith leaders, and families over several months.

MI Safe Communities would use federal funds that we already have to invest more money into Michigan’s police departments to strengthen training policies and programs, tackle the backlog of criminal cases that have piled up during the pandemic, and make investments to tackle the root causes of crime by expanding opportunity and bolstering violence intervention programs.

We all want to reduce crime and ensure families feel safe. I know we can work together to protect public safety, and I look forward making the investments we need to support law enforcement, decrease violence, and deliver justice.

Sincerely,

Gretchen Whitmer

Governor

The question being on the passage of the bill, the objections of the Governor to the contrary notwithstanding,

Rep. Calley moved that the bill be re-referred to the Committee on Local Government and Municipal Finance.

The motion prevailed.

I am a Forum User
    If the law prohibiting killing or cutting people doesn't stop someone from doing those things, a law prohibiting carrying a knife won't either.

MGO Board of Directors

She sees it as allowing carrying of a weapon.

The problem is, there are FAR more people that carry knives that used to be prohibited as TOOLS, not weapons. While you on one block with your EDC pocket knife, you are perfectly legal...then go one block over and you're a criminal.

She veto'd the bill so as to make criminals out of law abiding citizens.

What concerns me about Whitmer's letter is the statement "This legislation would have prohibited local governments from enacting or enforcing any knife law stricter than state law." Just replace the word "knife" with just about anything. Is she implying, or outright stating, that each local government can come up with their own set of laws? If so, how chaotic and confusing will life in Michigan become? I am not a legal expert, but isn't there something in State law about preemptions?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    ...isn't there something in State law about preemptions?
    Yes, regarding firearms, but not knives.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast