Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

SB 0527 of 2017 Modify weapon requirements for foster parents

SB 0527 of 2017
    Human services; foster parents; weapon requirements for foster parents; modify.
    Last Action: 9/6/2017 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON FAMILIES, SENIORS AND HUMAN SERVICES
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Well this aught to put a twist in the panties of the child services workers. Looks like a good start to pushing back against DHS.

DHS already admits their policy is unconstitutional. I'm not sure what this law will do for us.

It has the same kind of regulation of keeping it locked up if it is not on your person as what has been struck down in other places.

What good is having a firearm for self protection if you must lock it all up when you go to bed?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    It has the same kind of regulation of keeping it locked up if it is not on your person as what has been struck down in other places.

What good is having a firearm for self protection if you must lock it all up when you go to bed?
    What good is a law with no penalties associated with it? They blatantly break current law because there is no penalty.

I know I'm preaching to the choir....

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

the locked case requirement seems a little onerous
    a stack of ammo cans in the basement would be illegal unless each can had a lock on it. etc.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    SB 0527 of 2017
    Human services; foster parents; weapon requirements for foster parents; modify.
    Last Action: 9/6/2017 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON FAMILIES, SENIORS AND HUMAN SERVICES
    This bill is garbage and it was written by lawyers who are not admitted to the Michigan bar nor did they talk to the only lawyer who pushed field preemption on the appellate level in Michigan (that would be MOC's corporate counsel).

The bill does a number of horrible things.

1. It creates a holster requirement which no state has, this includes long guns. Out hunting with your foster kid, better have the rifle in a holster or you can lose your kid.
    2. You must have possession AND control of the firearm, so your foster kid can't shoot a gun, not even at a range.
    3. It undermines field preemption and many other state agencies are going to start to think they can regulate firearms.

The NRA seems to be pushing this aggressively for a notch under their belt and in typical fashion, they aren't aware of nuances NOR DO THEY CARE.... and people who actually LIVE here have to pick up the pieces and problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    the locked case requirement seems a little onerous
    a stack of ammo cans in the basement would be illegal unless each can had a lock on it. etc.
    Thank the NRA for being stubborn on this. They wrote a Canadian style "lock up your guns and ammo" bill for us here in Michigan if you adopt. Good job Chris Cox. Hopefully the NRA starts listening to knowledgeable people WHO ACTUALLY LIVE IN THIS STATE AND HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA.

MGO Board of Directors

SB 0527 of 2017
    Human services; foster parents; weapon requirements for foster parents; modify. Amends 1994 PA 203 (MCL 722.951 - 722.960) by adding sec. 8b.
    Last Action: 9/12/2017 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

SB 0527 of 2017
    Human services; foster parents; weapon requirements for foster parents; modify. Amends 1994 PA 203 (MCL 722.951 - 722.960) by adding sec. 8b.
    Last Action: 9/19/2017 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...SFA-0527-G.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast