Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Re-finishing gun with spray on finish

I have two barrels and and receivers that I've stripped all the bluing/rust off and and looking to refinish them. I don't want to pay the expense to blue them professionally and am not satisfied with home bluing kits.
    Has anyone used a spray on, oven bake product such as Brownells TEFLON/MOLY oven cure gun finish? What have been your experience and are there better products (under $50) on the market?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

MGO Member

Refinish

Just refinished two 45's this afternoon. Have done one in the past,am satisfied with all. Loo good and the first one that I did the finish is wearing well. Do not spray too heavy, keep rec. distance with the spray can. By the way I have used the Moly from Brownells. Happy to give any more info in pm.

MGO Member
    Here's some for you, I typed in:
    TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH reviews

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=88136

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149429

http://corsicacoatings.com/CC_Custom...m_Coating.html

There are others, best of luck!

Duracoat has some nice finishes, never done one myself but have seen a few and the are nice. Have thousands of colors too.

I am a Forum User
    brownells cera-kote (sp?) worked well for a few pistols I had...
    never tried on a rifle...but didnt need to.... My experience is...should be great..

I am a Forum User
    Cerakote is more expensive, but well worth it. I use Cerakote specifically in the shop.

Duracoat doesn't hold up as well and is very thick.

Gunkote didn't hold up as well but is better then Duracoat.

Moly Teflon coatings held up okay to normal wear, but chips very easily compared to Cerakote.

Cerakote is self lubricating and has 1000+ hours of sale spray resistance.

Cerakote testing against Gun Kote and Duracoat. Very good Read.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the replies fellows. I've looked at the price of Cerakote, but balked at the price initially, considering some of the other options that are much cheaper.

After doing some more research, and taking into consideration Todd's experience, I'm thinking Cerakote is what I'm after. The shotgun barrels I'll be working with will be used for trap/skeet and possibly see some time in the woods so I'm expecting to see some abuse to finish on them. I've never used an airbrush system before. I'm assuming I can buy a fairly cheap set up (~$20) and hook it up to an air compressor and am good to go?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard000003
    Thanks for the replies fellows. I've looked at the price of Cerakote, but balked at the price initially, considering some of the other options that are much cheaper.

After doing some more research, and taking into consideration Todd's experience, I'm thinking Cerakote is what I'm after. The shotgun barrels I'll be working with will be used for trap/skeet and possibly see some time in the woods so I'm expecting to see some abuse to finish on them. I've never used an airbrush system before. I'm assuming I can buy a fairly cheap set up (~$20) and hook it up to an air compressor and am good to go?

Harbor Freight for the cheap air brush, or hlvp gun. Just make sure you have the air regulated and filtered. Plus you need an oven unless you use the air cure coatings.

I wouldn't recommend using your kitchen oven for anything unless you don't mind the smell that will stay , plus I am not keen on putting dangerous chemicals where I eat. Think of a good cheap Salvation army kitchen oven for $50 that you can toss after your done ( or keep for future projects ). Air cure is the cheapest way to go if you don't want to spend the money. Just takes longer to cure.

Todd

MGO Member Forum User
    I aggree on not using the kitchen oven. I've done a fair bit of powder coating as well as some ceramic coatings on exhaust systems and each of them tell you to not use your household oven. The chemicals that are released during the baking process don't just disappear when you open the door. They will leach out everytime you heat up the oven and contaminate your food. I picked up a free, working double oven from the side of the road. I wired it into my garage (240VAC) and had a free curing oven. You can also use the tank top mounted IR heaters to cure the parts. I use those for the parts that don't fit in my oven. There really is more too it than just spraying on the coating and baking in an oven for a bit. But, not much rocket science.

I am a Forum User
    Does anyone have a source for Cerokote other than Brownells? I'm going to use the air cure (don't have a spare oven and will not use the same oven I eat from). The only other place I've found that I'm able to buy small quantities from is http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/ceramics2.html

I'm assuming the Cerakote from Caswell ("high temp ceramic coating") is the same stuff used on firearms? I'm considering using the color black, but Brownells is out of stock. I'm toying with the idea of blue as well. I think it would look neat on the bolt action shotgun I'm working on, but I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around the idea of a blue colored shotgun. I've seen some pictures of a few of the colored guns Todd has done and kind of like the idea of having an oddity, such as a blue shotgun.