Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

H.B. 4371 and S.B. 0207 Hunter Heritage

• HB 4371 of 2011
      Natural resources; hunting; minimum hunting age; eliminate, and create mentored youth hunting program.
      Last Action: 3/2/2011 referred to Committee on Natural Resources, Tourism, and Outdoor Recreation
    Updated Bills or Resolutions:
    • SB 0207 of 2011
      Natural resources; hunting; minimum hunting age; eliminate, and create mentored youth hunting program.
      Last Action: 3/1/2011 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON OUTDOOR RECREATION AND TOURISM

I am a Forum User
    Natural Resources, Tourism, and Outdoor Recreation, Rep. Frank Foster, Chair

Date: 03/08/2011

Time: 9:00 AM

Place: 307 House Office Building, Lansing, MI

HB 4371 (Pettalia) Natural resources; hunting; minimum hunting age; eliminate, and create mentored youth hunting program.

I am a Forum User
    In the Natural Resources Committee meeting today, H.B. 4271 that addresses “hunter mentoring “ which allows youth less than 10 years old to hunt in Michigan with a mentor present was discussed. A lot of positive testimony from many organizations in Michigan and the U.S. Sportsman’s Alliance representatives. There was even a Natural Resource Commissioner there to testify on behalf of the bill.

One of the Committee members asked about an amendment to allow foster parents to take the child hunting. Seems a Mayor friend had to sign a letter saying he could not take the child hunting until he is 18 years old.

All in all, a great bill and will "probably" pass out of committee next week.

youth hunting license

In other words, last year my six year old went bird hunting with me for free and this year I have to buy him a license so he can come along. This is an underhanded way to raise license fees on hunting families.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless
    In other words, last year my six year old went bird hunting with me for free and this year I have to buy him a license so he can come along. This is an underhanded way to raise license fees on hunting families.
    Where does it say a "non-hunting" youth "must" buy a license?

I am a Forum User
    Tallbear,

Thank you for posting this. I have read through it 3 times and had my wife look at it. I am not skilled in reading "politician" so could you please clear this up for me?

My understanding is the kids need an apprentice license, and have to be with a licensed adult (common sense). No age limit?

Thanks for the help,

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by woody-99
    Tallbear,

Thank you for posting this. I have read through it 3 times and had my wife look at it. I am not skilled in reading "politician" so could you please clear this up for me?

My understanding is the kids need an apprentice license, and have to be with a licensed adult (common sense). No age limit?

Thanks for the help,
    That's pretty much it only it's not an apprentice license, it will be a "youth" license. It's now up to the NRC to set the procedure and I've been told they're not going to have that worked out before next year.

youth hunting license

It is my understanding that anyone "participating" in a hunt must be licensed. That means if you are unarmed and walking with someone on a drive or tracking deer, you must have a license. I believe the matter came up at a hunter safety class during the "DNR hour".

Quote Originally Posted by luckless
    It is my understanding that anyone "participating" in a hunt must be licensed. That means if you are unarmed and walking with someone on a drive or tracking deer, you must have a license. I believe the matter came up at a hunter safety class during the "DNR hour".
    If he doesn't have a gun in his hand he is not hunting, since there is no effort to take game, and therefore not "participating" he is simply walking through the woods.