Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Scopes that work with both eyes open

Hello everyone,

I just got an AR-15 and am having trouble focusing on the sights. It seems I can only do it if I wear an eye patch. I have heard that there are higher end optics out there that will allow you to keep both eyes open. I think the trijicon ACOG might be one of them. I'm only looking to shoot up to 300yrds max and don't want to spend over $1,000 on a scope if I don't have to. Do any of you have experience with this? I've tired to train my eyes to just close one eye but so far that isn't working. Let me know what you guys think.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by alexjahn View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just got an AR-15 and am having trouble focusing on the sights. It seems I can only do it if I wear an eye patch. I have heard that there are higher end optics out there that will allow you to keep both eyes open. I think the trijicon ACOG might be one of them. I'm only looking to shoot up to 300yrds max and don't want to spend over $1,000 on a scope if I don't have to. Do any of you have experience with this? I've tired to train my eyes to just close one eye but so far that isn't working. Let me know what you guys think.
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/compa...o_trijicon.php
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    That's good to know. How do I distinguish which scopes can be used with both eyes open? Anyone know of other scope like this?

I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. At 1x it's a true undistorted 1x. It looks like the reticle is just floating in the air like an EoTech. At 4x it's still comfortable to shoot both eyes open. Great substantiations on the reticle for range finding and hold over too. I bought it over an ACOG for the ability to go to 1x and never looked back.

I am a Forum User
    As fuel said, most 1-4x good optics work fine with both eyes opened.. You have to train your eyes to work in this fashion.. I used to always use one eye when shooting handguns, and it took me sometime to shoot both eyes opened.. just a little practice and before you know it you can start shooting both eyes opened.

Banned
    Before you go optics crazy why don't you try tilting the weapon toward your dominant eye... it's cheaper and what your body demands. I doubt the optics will fix it anyway.

MGO Member Forum User
    Before we get too far along, do you know which eye is your dominant eye? Has it ever been tested by someone that knows how?

And which is your dominant hand?

I'm an optometrist, so I can probably give you useful information regarding what works and what doesn't, depending on what's going on exactly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
    Before we get too far along, do you know which eye is your dominant eye? Has it ever been tested by someone that knows how?

And which is your dominant hand?

I'm an optometrist, so I can probably give you useful information regarding what works and what doesn't, depending on what's going on exactly.
    The optics, if he doesn't make adjustments for his dominant eye yield the same results, no?

MGO Member Forum User
    So far as I know, we don't know which is his dominant eye yet.

If he is trying to shoot right handed, and he's left eye dominant, he -might- be able to use a 1x device that allows both eyes to be open, and see the red dot or whatever. But anything with magnification will be problematic if he is strongly left eye dominant and tries to use the right eye in the scope.

As a general rule, eye dominance is very analogous to hand dominance. Some people can, with minor training, perform tasks right or left handed competently.

Likewise, some folks non-dominant eye can be quite functional in a magnifying optic. But some not at all.

In some cases, it is easier to learn to shoot left handed than to use the non-dominant eye in a magnifying scope.

There are subtleties...

Quote Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
    So far as I know, we don't know which is his dominant eye yet.

As a general rule, eye dominance is very analogous to hand dominance. Some people can, with minor training, perform tasks right or left handed competently.

In some cases, it is easier to learn to shoot left handed than to use the non-dominant eye in a magnifying scope.

Sometimes eye dominance can be a real pain to figure out what works best as well. I'm right handed, left eye dominate. I shoot long guns left handed, always have. But I shoot pistols right handed, with my left eye open. Sounds strange to most, but it's worked for me for years.

Dice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast