Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4710 - 4715 of 2023 - Repeal certain provisions regarding weapons/firearms

HB 4710 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; certain provisions regarding weapons; repeal. Amends secs. 231 & 237a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.231 & 750.237a) & repeals secs. 227, 227a, 227c, 227d, 231a & 234d of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.227 et seq.).
    Last Action: 6/13/2023 bill electronically reproduced 06/13/2023

HB 4711 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; sentencing guidelines; update references. Amends sec. 12, ch. IX; secs. 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 769.12 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4710'23, HB 4715'23

HB 4712 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; Michigan retired law enforcement officer’s firearm carry act; update references. Amends secs. 7 & 12 of 2008 PA 537 (MCL 28.517 & 28.522). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4710'23

HB 4713 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; natural resources and environmental protection act; update references. Amends sec. 43510 of 1994 PA 451 (MCL 324.43510). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4710'23

HB 4714 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; corrections code of 1953; update references. Amends sec. 33b of 1953 PA 232 (MCL 791.233b).

HB 4715 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; 1927 PA 372; update references. Amends secs. 2, 2a, 5b, 5g, 5o, 12 & 15 of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 et seq.) & repeals sec. 5f of 1927 PA 327 (MCL 28.425f). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4710'23
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    It won't become law in the Democratic Trifecta era, but this legislation will clearly delineate the differences between Republicans and Democrats on guns:

https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/...lawmakers.html

If you can own a gun, you should be able to conceal it, say Michigan’s GOP lawmakers
    By Jordyn Hermani | June 13, 2023

Michigan is unlikely to become the 28th state with “constitutional carry” laws on its books, but that’s not stopping a small cohort of House Republicans from trying.

Introduced in the House Committee on Government Operation last week were House bills 4710 through 4715, which would allow those legally able to own a firearm the ability to conceal carry – a move that now requires an additional license under Michigan law.

“Right now, you can open carry without getting a concealed carry permit. You can put a gun on your hip and not have a jacket over it,” said Rep. Bryan Posthumus, R-Cannon Township and a sponsor of a bill within the package. “But, if you want to put your jacket on and cover your gun and conceal it, you have to get permission from the government. This does away with that second step.”

Given Democrats control both the House and Senate and the party’s current stance on gun control measures, the package has no hope of passing. Even if it did, the likelihood of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer vetoing such legislation would be great.

“The vast majority of residents support commonsense gun reforms – the same reforms passed by the Democratic majority and signed into law by the governor,” said Amber McCann, spokesperson for House Speaker Joe Tate, D-Detroit. “It seems the representative is pandering to a vocal minority.”

Posthumus said he was aware the bill had virtually no chance of survival, adding that he typically did not make a habit of introducing bills he knew were doomed to die.

However, in the case of constitutional carry, Posthumus said he hoped the introduction of the package, and lack of movement, sent a message: “Our constitutional rights are not to be infringed.”

“We need to stand up and stand firm in saying that people here, in Michigan, deserve to be able to practice their constitutional rights and nobody can take those rights away,” he said.

Rep. Angela Rigas, R-Caledonia Township, echoed the sentiment. She sponsors another portion of the package, and in a statement, she painted the the legislation as a step toward Michigan becoming “a free state.”

“Today we’re starting a fight we know we are likely doomed to lose against our present Democrat dictatorship,” Rigas said. “But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth fighting. We will remind this government that its job is to serves its people – all its people. And we won’t let freedoms die in secret and in silence. Even if all we can do is protest, we will do so at the top of our lungs.”

Senate Republicans also introduced constitutional carry legislation. It would repeal sections of state law that make it a felony to carry a concealed firearm without a license.

So far this year, Democrats have moved on a number of firearms-related topics, biggest among them being the passage of extreme risk protection orders, otherwise known as red flag laws.

Whitmer signed that measure into law late last month, not long after signing off on universal background checks for the sale of all firearms in Michigan, as well as mandating the safe storage of those guns around children.

As for what’s next in this policy realm, Democrats have been fairly tight-lipped, though the potential for closing what’s known as the domestic violence loophole – or the fact abusive ex-partners may still own and purchase firearms so long as their victims were not their spouse or someone with whom they had a child – has been floated as a possible topic of interest.

Other potential topics include weighing whether firearm dealers and manufacturers would keep immunity from gun-related lawsuits – as they do by current statute – or possibly limiting the capacity of a gun’s magazine.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    It won't become law in the Democratic Trifecta era, but this legislation will clearly delineate the differences between Republicans and Democrats on guns:

https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/...lawmakers.html
    So, why was it not proposed during the Republican trifecta era?
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    I'll bet the farm that if there is ever a republican trifecta in Lansing again it won't be proposed either.

I am a Forum User

Just like all the votes to repeal Obummer Care, while he was still in office. As soon as Trump was President and the GOP held the House and Senate - not one damn vote.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    Constitutional carry bills HB. 4416 to HB. 4419 passed in the Michigan House during 2017 by a vote of 59-49. Then Gov. Snyder had it killed in the State Senate.

House Speaker Pro Tem Pamela Hornberger killed State Representative Steve Carra's Constitutional carry bills in June 2022 through an illegitimate legislative maneuver.

The RINOs who gutted Constitutional carry have a lot of support on this board. They are touted as responsible Republicans. Unlike the "lunatics" who actually support us.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Constitutional carry bills HB. 4416 to HB. 4419 passed in the Michigan House during 2017 by a vote of 59-49. Then Gov. Snyder had it killed in the State Senate.

House Speaker Pro Tem Pamela Hornberger killed State Representative Steve Carra's Constitutional carry bills in June 2022 through an illegitimate legislative maneuver.

The RINOs who gutted Constitutional carry have a lot of support on this board. They are touted as responsible Republicans. Unlike the "lunatics" who actually support us.
    Thank you for that history lesson 10x25mm (seriously).
    It is important to remember this.

I still learn something new on here most times I visit quietly in the background. I am amazed by the vast breadth and depth of knowledge - when I can get the stupid search function to find what I'm looking for, even in archived threads/posts.

Except for 10x - he knows too much for his own good.