Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

I am a Forum User
    I don't think this is a DYI job

Quote Originally Posted by sse View Post
    I don't think this is a DYI job
    How True - you must know your limitations. Here is a link for a simple version of the task.

Then after removal:

The Big Question is, What should I do Next! ._._.. (YouTube it)
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

No call to smith yet (still at my property away from town), but another 30 rounds through it with only one malfunction. I’m hoping it’s just wearing itself in and resolving itself. I have snap caps waiting for me at home from Amazon, so hopefully a few evenings of cycling will resolve it. Still frustrating that a $900 gun with so much attention to exterior fit and finish has such chunky action.

I am a Forum User
    The guy at Flint & Frizzen in Clarkston is a wizard pistolsmith. He smoothed out the trigger on my 686. Don't know if he's still on the job, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    No call to smith yet (still at my property away from town), but another 30 rounds through it with only one malfunction. I’m hoping it’s just wearing itself in and resolving itself. I have snap caps waiting for me at home from Amazon, so hopefully a few evenings of cycling will resolve it. Still frustrating that a $900 gun with so much attention to exterior fit and finish has such chunky action.
    I bought a S&W Custom Shop R8 (.357 magnum), paid a fair sum for it.
    Fired 50 rounds, threw it in the safe in disgust. My homemade, uneducated, hillbilly in a garage trigger job on my GP100 was infinitely better than the long, gritty, clunky pull on my 'Custom Shop' revolver. And, my GP100 with 50,000+ rounds fired was able to group better at 25 yards.
    I sold the R8 well below value, and was happy to see it go.

I still buy S&W, but usually old revolvers from pre-1980.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I bought a S&W Custom Shop R8 (.357 magnum), paid a fair sum for it.
    Fired 50 rounds, threw it in the safe in disgust. My homemade, uneducated, hillbilly in a garage trigger job on my GP100 was infinitely better than the long, gritty, clunky pull on my 'Custom Shop' revolver. And, my GP100 with 50,000+ rounds fired was able to group better at 25 yards.
    I sold the R8 well below value, and was happy to see it go.

I still buy S&W, but usually old revolvers from pre-1980.

I handled an R8 for the first time the day I picked up this 686. I had always wanted one, but in the hand it doesn’t feel like a classic smith. The shrouded barrel really threw me off.

I can say that this 686 is accurate though. No problems on 8” gongs at 50 yards, even had decent luck hitting clays laid on the berm most of the time. Sights were spot on out of the box, SA isn’t bad either. Heavy….but crisp. DA is atrocious….but I almost never shoot DA with hopes of JM accuracy.

The custom shop 629 “pro” had a similar trigger/ action. Albeit just a bit lighter. Definitely not “custom shop” or “pro”. My factory model 10 and 66 have smoother actions, and those were just plain no frills models.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-07-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Good news it looks like. It seems to be working itself out. I sat for a couple hours with snap caps and gave it hundreds of cycles (giving myself carpal tunnel in the process). The malfunction now occurs about once every 100 cycles, and when it does happen, the slightest touch of the trigger, hammer, or cylinder resets it. When it first started the trigger had to be pushed forward. So far less frequent, and less severe, with most of the chunky feel giving way to a smooth (but heavy) DA and reset 99% of the time.

Even if I were to send it back at this point, they’d probably just ship it back with a “could not duplicate” letter.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Good news it looks like. It seems to be working itself out. I sat for a couple hours with snap caps and gave it hundreds of cycles (giving myself carpal tunnel in the process). The malfunction now occurs about once every 100 cycles, and when it does happen, the slightest touch of the trigger, hammer, or cylinder resets it. When it first started the trigger had to be pushed forward. So far less frequent, and less severe, with most of the chunky feel giving way to a smooth (but heavy) DA and reset 99% of the time.

Even if I were to send it back at this point, they’d probably just ship it back with a “could not duplicate” letter.
    do yourself a favor and take a look at the return spring channel.. It could be as simple as a small tiny burr.. you can roll a 1000 sand paper roll it thru, follow with a q-tip with some polishing compound and all will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    do yourself a favor and take a look at the return spring channel.. It could be as simple as a small tiny burr.. you can roll a 1000 sand paper roll it thru, follow with a q-tip with some polishing compound and all will be ok.

I might try that tomorrow. Now that I’m back home I have access to my proper gunsmithing tools and can get into it without marring anything up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast